Sunday, February 4, 2007

Dog person

Almost the first everybody told me when telling them that me and Tomek are thinking about getting cats is: But, Britta you're a dog person!

They do have a good reason for saying this, the last 10 or mayby 15 years dogs have been the animal in focus in my life. Recently I had to put my dog to sleep. She was a 13 year old german shepard, who hade been part of my life since I was 15. It was of course very sad. Not only because the best dog in the world would leave but also since a big part of me would go away. The dog owner part. The part of me that for my entire adult life and teenage life had cared for and enyod the company of an animal.

But I am not a dog person, I am a animal person. I have had animals since age of seven when I go chickens. Yes, chickens the one that lays eggs and some times become dinner. My chickens only layed eggs and never became dinner though. After that I hade a rabbit, a couple of different birds and then a couple of gerbils. Then came the dog in to my life. I still like dogs very much, wonderful animals, but right now, the memory of my dog is enough. She enriched my life so much so that it the memory of her will last a long long time. But the animal person in me needs an animal to care, play and enjoy.

So now I'm going to have a new animal in the house, two actually, two cats. Never had cats before, and it is going to be intersting to see how it is to switch from having a very loyal dog, which listens to what I have to say, to having independent cats, who will not let me become the leader of the pack as easily.

Katja, my loyal companion who is no longer with me.